Thursday, May 9, 2013

Meet the Staff: Mrs. Kerri Sands


Inspired by the many great teachers that invested themselves in my life, I decided at a very young age that my true calling in life was to become a teacher. After graduating with my BS in Elementary Education from UCF in 2002, I began teaching in Seminole County, Florida. Since then I have also had the opportunity to teach in Duval and now Flagler.  In 2013 I graduated with my MS in Education Media Design and Technology from Full Sail University.  About 4 years ago I made the switch from elementary school to high school and I couldn’t be happier.  There is nothing quite like getting to be part of my students’ lives just as they are taking their first steps into the adult world. I currently teach 8 different technology classes at FPC; three levels of Web Development, 3 levels of PC Support, App Creation, and even Yearbook. Then after school, two days a week, the fun continues with Computer Club and Video Game Club. Over the years I have also taught countless professional development workshops for teachers, on everything from reading strategies to technology integration.


Along the way, I have also managed to marry my soul mate, Jason, who has put up with the insanity that is my life, for the past 13 years. We have two beautiful daughters, Zoe (11 years old) and Hailey (7 years old), who are both enrolled in Flagler County Schools.


I am one of those strange people that loves learning. I enjoy learning about the new trends in technology and ways to become a more effective educator. In the rare few moments of spare time that I have, you can find me enjoying a FPC football game, taking pictures of school events for the yearbook, writing letters of recommendations to businesses and colleges for my students, shuffling my two girls to and from cheer, dance, and track practices, enjoying a day at the beach, and if I’m really lucky, reading a good book.


I am super excited about the opening of the i3 Tech Academy next year and I am very much looking forward to my role as the program coordinator.  I have been part of a team in Flagler County Schools that has been working, for the last year or two, on rethinking education in Flagler.  We have been working on ways to harness the power of technology to break free from some of the traditional molds, in order to better prepare our students for life in the 21st century.  We believe that the New Tech model is just what we have been looking for.  The New Tech Network has been working on this very same idea since the mid 90’s and has had fantastic results. So next year we will bring you the i3 Tech Academy at FPC, based on the best of both worlds; the New Tech model and top-notch educators from Flagler Schools.

Everyday I wake up and am thankful to be part of the FPC Bulldog family and now my new i3 family too!  I am very much looking forward to meeting all of you and beginning our year together.

Favorites: Music: The Killers, All American Rejects, Lindsey Stirling, Zac Brown Band, TV: I think I have one of those, Sports: I remember back in the day when I had time for that, Books: The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo series, The Infernal Devices Series, The Giver, The Host, Divergent (I could go on forever here), Movies: The Avengers, The Notebook, Despicable Me, Quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” –Ghandi 

-Kerri Sands
i3 Tech Academy Facilitator and Program Coordinator